A reddit user discusses the right wing media’s smearing of Michelle and Barack Obama, and is spot on.
DISCLAIMER: I’m really not comfortable with the use of racial slurs by the OP (which I have edited out), but his assessment of this is spot on.
What bothers me the most is a number of things, that at their base - has to do with nothing more than racism. The GOP, in this “politically correct” era, are too fucking chickenshit to come out and say [the n-word], so they do shit like this.
- They make fun of Michelle’s “fat ass” (NSFW headline)
- They go after all the birtherism/muslim garbage
- They write fake-diaries that claim Michelle Obama has a addiction problem with eating ribs
- They make documentaries slut-shaming Obama’s mother, making her out to be a bondage/fetish-loving “whore” who’s unsure who Obama’s real daddy is.
- They spend time online referring to Obama’s kids as ‘ghetto trash’
- and then you have this - the one nice, non-partisan, good deed thingie that every First Lady gets involved in, gets twisted into this assault on our rights. School lunch nutrition, FOR SUBSIDIZED LUNCHES, gets talked about like it’s fucking tyranny.
I know the people who talk like this. They’re people like my father, where behind closed doors, [the n-word] is common - it gets slung around every time Obama comes up, or Fresh Prince is passed while flipping channels.
It’s from fathers who raise kids who bring home a black friend one day to have him yell “get those [n-words] off my property” - making all the kids cry because they don’t understand what is wrong.
It’s from people like my father who is proud of the KKK flier from the rallies he used to attend in his youth. It’s from these assholes that rushed to sign up to Vietnam, not out of some sense of duty to the country, but because they were rushing to go kill some [slurs].
It’s nothing but racism. Not a single, non-racist person, has every said a damned thing against regulations on subsidized lunches.
Even when Palin was baking her protest cookies or Rush’s twinkie rants, all I see is bigotry. They might disagree with the idea of subsidized lunches all together but that has nothing to do with the changes Michelle Obama is making.
They’ll talk it up behind closed doors and to those they feel “are in the know” - but in the media, the politicians, and out in public and even on the internet, it’s all code, it’s all baiting bullshit.